Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Why Rabbits Are Not Rodents

Hey guys! I'm ranting today, maybe you can learn something.

Over and over and over again I find people that call rabbits rodents. It has come to the point of driving me insane.

Rabbits are not rodents. They are lagomorpha. This is an order (as in animal classification order) that is separate from rodents.

Pikas are also lagomorpha. Here are some pictures to demonstrate and prove my claims. No, I'm not a crazy person. I have proof.


This is a pika.


Proof with sciency words!

The main thing is the teeth. Their front teeth are coated on enamel on the sides and never form a sharp edge. Also, lagamorpha have more teeth overall, especially in the case of cheek teeth. They also have a second pair of incisors. I don't want to bore you with details. That would make the few people that read this blog lose interest. If you really want to know more, go research it yourself.

Oh yes, also shrews. Shrews aren't rodents. Yay for incorrect common knowledge.

I hope you learned something today, whether you wanted to or not.


Oh yeah, and here's a gif:

Gosh I'm so hungry.


Smiles :) TabbyCat



No comments:

Post a Comment